Thursday, November 14, 2013

Kill Your Television?

I've come to realize that television can really deaden the impulse to create.  I'm not sure what it is about it, but I've noticed that when I have the urge to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as the case may be) it's so tempting to treat myself to an episode of "The Good Wife" first.  The problem is, once I do that, I lose track of the inspiration, the thoughts that were bubbling over just forty-four minutes before.  And it's such an unconscious act.  About to eat dinner?  If I'm home by myself I flip on the television.  And when I'm finished with the episode, all motivation is drained from me.  It's not that I feel bad, per say, I just don't feel inspired to work.  I'm not telling anyone to kill their television, I'm just making an observation which I plan to act on in the present and future.

1.  Less television.  Especially when I'm feeling the urge to create.
2.  Awareness.  When I'm wanting to turn on the television, am I actually trying to block the urge to create, and avoid the self judgment that inevitably comes with any act of creation?

Anyway, I think  I've overdosed on "The Good Wife" and am taking a break.  It's not as much an enjoyment anymore, as it is a drudge, a distraction I'm attached to.  I'm not saying it's gonna be easy, but I'm aiming for a week off and hopefully when I walk back through the doors of Lockhart and Stern I will be glad to see their "very well tanned for Chicago" faces.  However, if you are not taking a sabbatical, please pay close attention to Season 4, Episode 7, "Anatomy of a Joke", which features my dear friend Melissa van der Schyff as the makeup artist.  Her scene is in the first fifteen minutes, and she's lovely in it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cursive

  Last week I returned to doing my  morning pages , a practice I was committed to for years, and then abandoned, at least partially in the d...