Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Arsenic and Old Lace

 
If you had asked me a little over a week ago, what show I'd be working on next, I would have had a completely different answer for you.  But since last Tuesday I've jumped into the cast of Arsenic and Old Lace, being produced by "Different Stages" at The Vortex.  It opens this Friday, and as of yet, I am not quite ready.  I'm covering for an actor who is unfortunately unable to continue in the part, and I know that know that a lot can be accomplished in the three days between now and opening, but I'm still a little nervous. 

I'm playing Teddy Brewster, a kook in a family of somewhat kooky folks.  His particular "quirk" is that he believes himself to be Teddy Roosevelt.  It's a really fun little part, without a tremendous amount of lines to memorize last minute, but the entrances and exits are a bit of a bitch.  In and out, in and out, shouting, bugle blowing, out and then back in.  I've made a little cheat sheet for myself to hang backstage so I don't forget any of the tiny little scenes I have in act one, and that will be a great help to pick up the slack where my mind leaves off.

Luckily, it's a great piece, and some of the cast members feel like family.  Karen Jambon and Jenny Underwood play the Brewster sisters, and two more generous and supportive (and talented) ladies would be hard to find.  Tyler Jones plays Mortimer.  This probably my fifth or sixth show with him, and he's always a lot of fun, with a wry sense of humor that catches all the bizarre and absurd little moments of life.

Again, we open this Friday, November 22nd.  We close December 14th.  If you live in the Austin area, I'd love to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cursive

  Last week I returned to doing my  morning pages , a practice I was committed to for years, and then abandoned, at least partially in the d...