Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Come and Sit While Grandma Tells You About Her Corns

It turns out, the thing that I was calling a bone spur, blah-blah-blah, etc. was just a...corn.  Gross.  Having one makes me feel about ninety, in spite of the fact that anyone can get one, and it's pretty easy to get taken care of.  Any way, the reason I mentioned it is because yesterday I was back to running for the first time in months.  True, it wasn't an amazing time (2 miles in 23 minutes) but it was a good start and I'm looking forward to getting back in the groove.  I in no way pretend to be one of those runner types, but I have kind of missed it, and it does make me feel like I'm moving physically in the world.

Last night my friend Mark and I saw 2001: Space Odyssey at the Paramount.  Because Zeus in Therapy has taken up most of my time and energy the past couple of months I hadn't had time to check out the Summer Classic Movie Fest, so in the last gasp I am trying to see as many of them as I can.  As far as 2001?  I really enjoyed the first half (although there were some moments of mind numbing slowness) and it certainly moved a lot faster in the second half, but then it took a turn into crazy town and got confusing as all get out.  What was with that broken lava lamp scene?  And the surreal moments in the lit floor hotel room? 

Mark mentioned that the film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and Rock Hudson, upon seeing it, headed up the aisle asking "Will someone tell me what the hell this is about?" There are questions as to whether he stayed for the full film or not, but if he made it to the second half, I concur, completely.  Luckily Mark, font of knowledge that he is, explained some of the theories as to what the film meant, and once that was explained...well I get it.  But shouldn't a film be comprehensible on its own merit and not through a middle man? 

My callback for Ordinary Days has come and gone and I would say it went all right.  Not perfect by any means, and all the usual suspects were there, so who knows what's going to happen.  It's strange how you can cram that music into your head and think you are ready for an audition and then when nerves take over all the tempos and entrances go out the proverbial window.  I can be happy and proud of myself for overcoming nerves to go out for it, and trust that if the part is for me, it will be.  In the meantime, someone else who saw the show has asked me to audition for their upcoming musical, so there's definitely a sense of possibility in the air. 

In truth, possibility is all around.  I've been submitting my writing for possible production and for competitions, sending out my work resume, auditioning, writing, and getting back to being social now that the show is over and I can focus on being with people who are not part of the cast and crew...it's all positive movement creating momentum.

As far as any romantic prospects?  I feel good about them.  It's been a bit of a stagnant pond lately, as I haven't really dated any one since April and I'm beginning to feel like I've seen all that I'm interested in seeing, but who knows what surprises await? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Cursive

  Last week I returned to doing my  morning pages , a practice I was committed to for years, and then abandoned, at least partially in the d...